Thursday 7 November 2013

TENSES CHANGE - IN - INDIRECT SPEECH

TENSES CHANGE - IN - INDIRECT SPEECH

Present simple Past simple
Present Continuous Past Continuous
Perfect Present perfect Pas
Present Perfect Continuous Past perfect
In Past Perfect Simple Past
Past Continuous Past perfect
In Past Perfect Past Perfect
Simple future, would
Conditionally , that would be
Future Perfect , will have


Examples.

DIRECT INDIRECT SPEECH
THIS TENSES
Changes present simple past simple
He said : "I write a letter "

She said , " going to school every day "

They said, " we love our country "

He said, "does not like computer" He said he wrote a letter.

He said he went to school every day.

They said they wanted their country
He said he did not like computer.
Changes in present continuous PAST CONTINUOUS
He said, "He is listening to music "

She said : " I'm washing my clothes "

They said, " we are enjoying the weather "

I said, " it's raining "
She said : " I do not laugh " He said he was listening to music.

She said she was washing her clothes.

They said they were not enjoying the weather .

She said she did not laugh .
Changes Present perfect past perfect
She said , " has finished its work "

He said : " I have started a job"

I said, " she has eaten the food "

They said, "we have not gone to New York. She said she had finished her work .

He said it had started a job.

I said I had eaten the food .
They said they had not gone to New York.
PRESENT PERFECT tense continuous changes in previous
He said : "I have been studying three '

She said : " It has been raining for three days. "

I said, " She has been working in this office since 2007, " said he had been studying for three .

He said it has been raining for three days.

I said I had been working in this office since 2007.
past tense
Changes in past perfect past simple
He said, " you answered correctly "

John said , " went to the movies "

He said : "I made a table"
She said : "I do not buy a car " He told me that I had answered correctly.

John said he had gone to the movies .

He said he had made a table.
She said he had not bought a car .
Changes past Past perfect continuous
They said, " we were enjoying the weather "

He said : "I was expecting "

I said, " It was raining "
She said : " I was not laughing " They said they had been enjoying .

He said he had been waiting .
I said it had been raining .

He said he has not been laughing .
Changes in past perfect past perfect (Tenses does not change)
She said : " She had visited a doctor"

He said : " I had started a business "

I said, " I had eaten the food "

They said, " we had not gone to New York. She said she had seen a doctor .

He said he had started a business .

I said I had eaten the food .

They said they had not gone to New York.
FUTURE TENSE
SIMPLE FUTURE TENSE
Do changes in DO
He said : " I will study the book"

She said : " I'm going to buy a computer"

They said, "we will send gifts "

I said, " I'm not taking the exam " He said he would study the book .

She said she was going to buy a computer.

They told me you were going to send gifts .
I told him I was not going to take the exam.
FUTURE CONTINUOUS TENSES
There will be changes in BE
I said, "I'll be waiting for him "

She said : "I will be changing to the new house "

He said : " I'll work hard "

He said, "will not fly the kite " I told him I would be waiting .

She said she would be moving to a new home.

He said he would be working hard .

She said she was not going to fly kites .
FUTURE PERFECT TENSE
YOUR changes would
He said : "I have finished the work "

She said, "they have passed the exam "

He said : "I have gone " He said he had completed the work.

She said that they have passed the examination .

He said he would have gone .
Note: The Tenses indirect style may not change if the indirect style is a universal truth , although reports verb belongs to the past tense.

Examples.
Direct speech : He said : " Mathematics is a science "
Indirect speech : He said that mathematics is a science.
Direct speech : He said : " Sun rises in the east"
Indirect speech : He said that the sun rises in the east . ( Tenses did not change because the indirect style is a universal truth thought his reporting verb belongs to the past tense)

Share

& Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2015 Latest updates™ is a registered trademark.

Designed by Templateism. Hosted on Blogger Platform.